CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 7, 2008

Clinical Complete at Kellogg Elementary!

Today was refreshing as I finished up my second clinical at Kellogg Elementary. I am reminded, as I write this, of how much it means to me to be a leader to children. I am certainly nothing special on my own, and I hope this doesn't sound conceited, but I believe one of the gifts that God has equipped me with is the gift of caring. I am so thrilled to take this gift and use it in a classroom full of young people. My heart swells as I look back on this experience at Kellogg Elementary. Even though I was only there over the course of two months or so, I had the wonderful opprotunity to meet and brush spirits with some really great kids, and one wonderful teacher, Patty Johnson. I am happy to be knocked down a notch from feeling like I can conquer teaching on my own as I also remember that the Lord gives me the ability to have patience in a classroom. My attitude of goofyness and pure joy when it comes to having a conversation with an 8 year old does not come naturally, but I honestly believe and am glad to say that it comes from the Lord. My prayer is that I, someday in the near future, get the opprotunity to have my own class. That's what I'm working towards, and with the Lords help, I know that it will soon become a reality! It just humbles me, tremendously, when I think about what it is honestly going to be like someday, to spend about seven hours five days a week with children of all different backgrounds. For those kids who are coming to my class from a home where there is no love, I want them to be able to climb the stairs of that school bus with an exictement that they're safely headed for a place where they are loved and appreciated. For those students who may be scared or nervous, I want them to be excited to enter into a class where everyone is equal and they are all striving for the same goals...no one better than the other, not even me, the teacher. For those students who are loved at home and don't have a care in the world, I want them to enter into a class where they are struck with the reality that they are blessed to have parents who care...and that there are people who need to be loved...I want them to learn to be friends with everyone, no matter their situation or circumstance, because each student is worth speaking to and getting to know! I want God to be the center of my classroom, even without the students having to know it! I want my classroom to be different from typical classrooms and I want my classroom to make a difference because of the Lord. As a teacher, I will have the awsome responsiblity not only to take care of students in the classroom and prepare them to be our future, but also outside the classroom as I lift them up in prayer. Praise the Lord!


So, in closing...here are some things that I loved and will miss about my 4th grade class at Kellogg Elementary.
-The way Eric offered my the candy that he brings for snack time
-Looking at Jack and seeing him with his football jersey on, legs crossed, and hand on forehead concentrating quietly on his warm-up
-Smiles from Ellie
-Hugs from Lindsey
-Telling Jordan and Lindsey how lotion helps get eye make up off...and also reminding them that they won't need to use this advice until later on in life!
-Hearing students call me Ms. Lynd
-Hearing about Cameron's pet snake
-Seeing Casey eat popcorn balls for snack time...I didn't even know they still made those things!
-Answering and helping Dakota with his worksheets
-Laughing about how Alex acts towards Cameron
-Hearing them tell me thank you today before I left
-Hearing Ms. Johnson tell me that I'll make a fine teacher someday
And here's what they gave me (along with the Vera Bradley change purse to match my bag that Darlene bought me and a candle) before I left...yes, I did cry a little bit on my way out of the door, but none saw me, though.



4 comments:

Sharlene and Greg said...

You are going to make a great teacher with the heart you have for kids. God has definitely blessed you in that area and it is wonderful to see you use the gifts He has given you to be a blessing to kids. Thanks for the update! Lauren and I love Vera Bradley too.

Erin said...

Thank you, Sharlene! I'm excited! I think i knew you ladies were really into Vera Bradley! I remember i always admire your bags and purses when i see you all! :o)

FarcinsFollies said...

I think you should move to Fairmont and teach my grandkids. I would love for them to have a teacher like you. Hope you have a wonderful holiday!! Make Brian bring you up to see us.

Erin said...

Thank you, Marlene! That sounds like so much fun!! =) Same to you and your family...have a wonderul Christmas, and I'm sure you had a great Thanksgiving, too!