CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 1, 2008

A Trip Out to Church Camp

There's something about this sweet, sweet spirit of Christ that I feel sometimes at Church camp. Maybe it's just so comforting and familiar for me to be there because I've gone since I was like 7. Then again, maybe it's in my blood. My momma loved going to camp. She was fun there. Church camp, when I was younger, came with lots of excitement, lots of new friends, but now that I'm older, looking back, the one thing that stands out in my mind most and the one thing that I appreciate more than anything else is the fact that church camp was a week where I got to see my momma enjoy teaching kids about Jesus. I can remember the pure happiness that she had about her, just to be in the midst of the Holy Spirit working in the hearts of people at camp. I would never in a million years trade one memory of her starting the "What's Your Name?!?!" game or of her laughing that contagious laugh because of something that a teen girl from her cabin told her. I would never in a million years trade the memory of seeing her read her Bible, and give a devotion only to end it with praying. I would never in a million years trade the way she made me feel like I was better than Picasso at arts and crafts and seeing her smile and hug me or Drew because of some silly rock we painted for her or a hand print that we traced on a piece of wood to hang up. Thank you Lord, for giving me a mind that remembers sweet, sweet memories of my momma. The type of memories that only a daughter has for a mother...there's something different with that type of relationship, I think...something extra special. Even though I couldn't go to stay the whole week out at camp this year (for the first time in a long time), I did get to attend each evening service and I also got to spend one night in the junior girls cabin with my Aunt De, Emilee, and Rachel. Last night's service was something that I knew the Lord used to tug at my heart. The passage from Luke 9:23, after Jesus has just finished feeding the multitude (thousands!) of people from just five loaves of bread and 2 fishes (You're so amazing, Jesus!), he simply tells us, "If any man wants to follow me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily!" How wonderful! Something hit home with me when I heard this read last night. I want to live this out! I am so ready to start DENYING myself and following my savior, the one who already knows more than I'll ever know! I'm accepting the fact that Jesus tells us here in this passage of scripture that it's going to be a "...daily..." task!!! I am so happy that Jesus Christ, so perfect and me, so very imperfect have a relationship where he tells me, "ERin...I'm not expecting you to be perfect. I'm not expecting you to get saved and then never have to struggle with following me. Instead, I'm going to remind you here that I know it's going to be a daily occurrence with you." Jesus knows it will take human beings everyday to choose to pick up their crosses and follow him.
Jesus, thank you for allowing church camp to bring wonderful memories of my momma to my mind. Thank you for allowing my family to be able to go, even if some of them didn't get to spend the entire week there! Lord, thank you for your Word that still speaks to the hearts of people today! I thank you for putting this thought into my head-"Man! If my mom loved being at church camp that much, I wonder how much more she loves being in Your true, beautiful presence in heaven!!!" Lord, I want to ask that you give me the strength to deny myself daily, pick up my cross, and follow you!" This is my hearts desire. Amen!


The candle-lit cross that was put together by the teens at camp during a song on the last night.
My 'old' younger brother reading some scripture at the lighting of the cross presentation. I love him and I am proud of him. Mom would've loved this! I love to think that she was watching it from Heaven, and braggin' on him to others who were watching with her. I bet she said, "That's my boy, Drewman!"
I have no idea what Rachel was thinking with the hair-do, haha, but Emilee and I had fun with her. Love those two girls.
This is Josh. Here he is talking to my dad, on the right. Before the pic was taken, he came up to me with his flashlight, showed me the ground as we were walking, and says, "You need to watch where you step!" He's a funny kid.
Erin Elizabeth Lynd and Rachel Lee Sammons (with her eyes half open/half closed).
P.S. For those of you who are wondering..."BRYON COMES HOME TOMORROW at noon!!!!" :o)



0 comments: